The Collective of Applied Law & Legal Realism (CALR) is the rapid delivery mechanism of AmerBON, Advocates’ pro bono services.
CALR hosted the Legal Aid Chit Chat Clinic No. 5 on 26 May 2020 to dissect the need for a new COVID-19 law.
The topics discussed included:
- challenges and opportunities for online criminal proceedings
- areas that require legislation to deal with the impacts of COVID-19:
- breach of contractual agreements due to the pandemic – sales and purchase agreements, hire-purchase contracts, tourism-related deals
- protection for employees – redress for employees based on the Industrial Relations Act 1967 and amendments passed in 2019
- nationalisation of private companies
- rent control – Control of Rent Act 1966 (repealed by the Control of Rent (Repeal) Act 1997)
- statutory deadline extensions for General Meetings of companies and societies