The Collective of Applied Law & Legal Realism (CALR) is the rapid delivery mechanism of AmerBON, Advocates’ pro bono services.
CALR hosted the Legal Aid Chit Chat Clinic No. 10 on 30 June 2020 to talk about anti-money laundering laws. Malaysia has one of the greatest illicit outflows of money in the world, losing up to US$33.7 billion (RM138.7 billion) from 2006 to 2015 according to estimates by Global Financial Integrity.
The topics discussed included:
- investigation and court processes for offences under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001 (AMLA)
- laws relating to AMLA, including elements that must be established for prosecution
- recourse that the authorities can rely on under AMLA
- forfeiture of criminal proceeds under section 56 of AMLA
- bona fide third party claims under section 61 of AMLA
- constitutionality of AMLA