The Collective of Applied Law & Legal Realism (CALR) is the rapid delivery mechanism of AmerBON, Advocates’ pro bono services.
CALR hosted the Legal Aid Chit Chat Clinic No. 2 on 5 May 2020 to respond to the latest issues since the imposition of the Movement Control Order (MCO) by the government to contain the spread of COVID-19.
The topics discussed included:
- arrests and sentences for MCO violations
- employment issues such as salary deductions
- immigration policy and COVID-19 testing
- restrictions by state governments on the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO)
- neoliberal capitalism, privatisation, unequal power relations, and a lack of social protection for the vulnerable
- xenophobia against refugees and asylum seekers in Malaysia