The Collective of Applied Law & Legal Realism (CALR) is the rapid delivery mechanism of AmerBON, Advocates’ pro bono services.
CALR hosted the Legal Aid Chit Chat Clinic No. 2 on Facebook Live on 5 May 2020 to respond to the latest issues since the imposition of the Movement Control Order (MCO) by the government to contain the spread of COVID-19.
The topics discussed included:
- Arrests and sentences for MCO violations
- Employment issues such as salary deductions
- Immigration policy and COVID-19 testing
- Restrictions by state governments on the Conditional Movement Control Order (MCO)
- Neoliberal capitalism, privatisation, unequal power relations and a lack of social protection for the vulnerable
- Xenophobia against refugees and asylum seekers in Malaysia